City Market History
day was October 1, 1914. Headlines in the
Raleigh News & Observer
told of the price of cotton being 10 cents a pound and the build-up of
troops in Europe readying themselves for the "great conflict". But the
headlines that captivated most Raleigh citizens on this day read "New
Market Is Now Open - Thousands Throng The Building While Ceremonies Are In
The Mayor on this October day was James I. Johnson who presented the
Market to the City. Those representing the City included Mr. Alexander
Webb, President of the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Mrs. Charles McKimmon
of the Housewives League and Mr. Walter Johnson, President of the Raleigh
Merchants Bureau. Mr. John Park was Master of Ceremonies. All prominent
names in Raleigh's social and business history then and now.
Jesse G. Adams won the contract to build the City Market building with a
bid of $23,386.06. Architect for the project was James Matthew Kennedy, a
native of Wayne County.
From October 1, 1914
until the mid 1940's the City Market flourished. Farmers from the Eastern
part of the state came regularly in their trucks and horse drawn carts
bringing produce, poultry, seafood and flowers. Home baked goods were also
a favorite among Raleigh city wives. On Saturdays you would find farmers
gathered at the Market and in Moore Square (known as the "the Grove")
visiting and picnicking with their family and friends.
With the advent of supermarkets and the opening of a new Farmers Market
off Capital Boulevard in 1957, the old City Market no longer satisfied the
need of Raleigh households so in June of 1957 the City Council adopted a
resolution to close it. In 1959 the building was sold to an individual who
leased it to a furniture store.
In 1980, the City Council secured a grant from the North Carolina Division
of Archives & History to study the architectural resources surrounding
Moore Square. As a result, the City Market was recognized by the National
Register of Historic Places. The City then began work to rehabilitate the
Market and nearby buildings.